Interview Tips and Hints
Going for an interview can be a daunting experience and that is why at Hamblin we do our best to ensure that you are fully prepared.
Where possible, your consultant will help you find out as much as you can about the company, the role and the person who will be interviewing you.
Click here to download the Hamblin interview brochure.
Top Interview Tips
- Research the company by speaking to friends, reading the newspaper, looking on the internet and LinkedIn. Visiting the company website alone is not sufficient.
- Dress to impress – appearances are vital and companies usually make their mind up within the first 20 seconds.
- Arrive on time and make sure you know the company location and who to ask for when you get there, first impressions are key
- If there is a job description or job advertisement, read it through. There is nothing worse than not knowing what job you are going for. The same can be said of your own CV. Make sure you know it inside out.
- If you have a phone with you, ensure that it is switched off
- Relax during the interview, be positive, smile, maintain eye contact, look interested and most of all be yourself
- Don’t waffle, offer clear and precise answers to questions highlighting any relevant experience you have for the role. If you don’t understand a question ask for clarification.
- Be aware of your body language, sit upright and look interested. Keep control of your hands as fiddling with a pen or touching your hair can be distracting.
- Think about how you can differentiate yourself from other candidates and make sure you highlight the skills you can bring to the role.
- Prepare a list of questions that you might want to ask i.e. how would you describe the culture of your company?
- When the interview has finished, smile, thank the interviewer(s) for their time and shake their hand.